Date Posted: Jun 4th, 2019
Salary: $22-28 per hour
Location: Oldcastle, ON
Employment Type: Full Time
Transportation: On Bus Route
The duties and responsibilities of the Sous Chef include, but are not limited to:
• Supervision of Kitchen and organization of tasks,work delegation, and activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation and dishwashing
• Performing duties of Chef when absent (ie: ordering supplies and food, scheduling staff, etc.)
• Quality control and oversight of recipes, stocks and sauces, garnishing, seasoning, and final presentation of product leaving Kitchen to ensure consistency and standards
• Coordinating with Service Manager to ensure timely delivery of service for all menus during events
• Training and orientation of 1st and 2nd Cook and other Kitchen staff
• Monitoring product use throughout serving period to prevent over production or early depletion
• Monitoring quality and state of raw and cooked food products, supplies, operation and inspection of equipment, and work areas to ensure conformance to established standards and sanitary food handling practices
• Monitoring sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations
• Shutting down and securing Kitchen areas at end of service
• Receiving inventory and relocating to storage and cooler areas
• Assisting with checking the quality and order accuracy of incoming produce and supplies
• Cooking or directly supervising the cooking of items requiring skillful preparation
- Secondary School graduation diploma (or equivalent) and successful completion of a required, college diploma (or equivalent) program with a specialized license/ certification.
- Experience:Greater than 5 years – in a banquet facility or handling groups of 200 or more
- Problem Solving/Judgment:The position is responsible to complete complex work assignments. Interpretive thinking and good judgment are required to perform the job competently. Solutions to problems may not be readily available as issues are usually changing and there are not always precedents.
- Communication:Strong communication skills are required to manage a department, customer/supplier base. This position frequently deals with unclear or imprecise requests for information. There is a need to interpret information before formulating a response. The position may have to speak on behalf of the organization internally and/or externally. Important negotiations, whether with internal or external contacts, are a part of the communication required in this position.
- Mental Effort:The work performed requires focus on many contributing factors and time limits are tight with little margin for error. Interruptions cause concentration to be so frequently broken that the ability to complete assignments in a proper and timely manner is impacted.