Date Posted: Jun 4th, 2019
Salary: $15-18 per hour
Location: Oldcastle, ON
Employment Type: Full Time
Transportation: On Bus Route
The duties and responsibilities of the Kitchen Porter include, but are not limited to:
• Assist the Chef de Partie/ Line Cooks with preparation of ingredients (eg: butchering and cleaning fish, poultry, meat, and shellfish, butterflying meat, breading fish and other meats, vegetable cleaning and cutting, slicing and dicing pizza toppings, content for appetizers, sauces, etc.)
• Assist chefs and cooks with plating food products
• Maintaining an orderly, sanitary, and safe work area throughout the kitchen at all times in order to maintain a hygienic environment for the chefs to work in
o Cleaning kitchen equipment
o Cleaning, sweeping, and mopping of floors in Kitchen, storage and cooler areas
o Inspecting and cleaning food preparation areas to ensure safe and sanitary food handling practices
• Transferring delivered goods to their storage location
• Monitoring orderliness of storage and cooler areas, cleaning when necessary
Comply with a regular schedule for cleaning refrigerators, ovens, grills, freezers and food preparation areas
• Assisting other Kitchen staff when needed (eg. Dishwashing, etc)
• All other duties as assigned
- Secondary School graduation diploma (or equivalent). Certificate in food handling is desirable.
- Experience: Entry level position.
- Problem Solving/Judgment: The position follows recognized standard methods/approaches and works within established precedents. Specific policies/procedures and/or directives are available and are to be followed. Problems are handled pursuant to available documented procedures/sequences. Complex or unclear matters are referred to higher authority.
- Communication: Information must be acquired from others in order to effectively perform the job. Communication may be in the written or verbal form. Contacts may include coworkers, supervisor(s) and individuals external to the organization.
- Mental Effort: The work performed is repetitive and routine, but the Kitchen Porter must be able to work with a team, handle the pressure to maintain the cleanliness of the kitchen and be meticulous enough to achieve cleanliness standards, in a fast-paced environment. Periods of concentration may be required; deadlines are applied and interruptions are common.
- Physical Effort: Moderate levels of physical activity will occur on a frequent or constant basis. This position requires good physical strength and stamina to move heavy items, as well as extended periods of time standing, walking, bending, lifting, twisting and pushing.
- Independence: The position is supervised at regular intervals, at least daily. Compliance with established procedures is mandated and instruction/performance information is readily available.