To fill in for vacation replacement of full-time staff and be available for call-ins, occasionally.
The Unemployed Help Centre of Windsor Inc. Care for Newcomer Children program follows a philosophy of learning through play and socialization while supporting the settlement of the child and family by respecting cultural norms and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow the Care for Newcomer Children (CNC) Requirements and UHC’s CNC philosophy
- Planning of appropriate activities for children in accordance with the written program philosophy
- Welcome and interact with newcomer children and their parents
- Provide activities and experiences that meet the individual developmental needs of the children
- Education – At least a one-year diploma in a child development program or a related field from a recognized academic institution. (Early Childhood Education Diploma preferred)
- Completion of 50% of the credits of a diploma in a child development program or related field from a recognized academic institution
- Current first aid and CPR certification including anaphylaxis response
- Current Health assessment including immunization and proof of Tuberculosis status
- Current Criminal Reference Check
- The job involves working with young children and includes lifting and participating in physical activities. It may also involve the supervision of children and physical activities out of doors.
Skills and Abilities
- Develop and implement daily activities that support and promote the development of newcomer children
- Understanding and awareness of settlement issues and the concerns of newcomer children and parents.
- Engage children in activities that support a child-centred approach.
- Guide and assist children in the development of proper eating, dressing and toilet habits.
- Assess the skills, abilities, interests and needs of children.
- Discuss progress or problems of children with parents and other staff members.