The Pre-Apprenticeship Program for cooks is a 20 week program which combines in-class instruction led by a certified teacher with extensive background in the hospitality industry, and in-kitchen training facilitated by a red-sealed chef. The training includes Smart Serve Certification, National Food Safety and Service Excellence, and is followed by an 12 week work placement.
The program is open to anyone who is interested in advancing their culinary skills to gain entry level employment within the food service and hospitality industries.
- 16 years of age or older
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent
- Birth certificate, passport or driver’s license and
- Valid SIN card
- Safety and Sanitation
- Kitchen tools and Equipment, Cooking Techniques and Methods
- Culinary Math, Menu Design and Costing
- Shipping and Receiving, Storage Procedures, Inventory Control
- Sauces, Stocks and Soups, Pastas, Grains, Vegetables etc.
The Program is 20 weeks in length. Classes run for 8 weeks, Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Classes are followed by an 12 week work placement. Program Schedule:
- April 3, 2017 to May 26, 2017
- July 3, 2017 to August 25, 2017
- October 2, 2017 to November 24, 2017
Please call 519-944-4900 to register for General Information Session (Spaces are limited).